Skip to main content

How can I get my money back from a scam artist?

Chicago, IL |

I have been a victim of fraud by an acquaintance who presented herself to be an attorney. She promised exclusive land in the city that she can only buy in her name. I gave her money on three occasions to secure the property. It turned out it was all a lie and she admitted it on a letter she wrote to me. She used my money to pay of her medical bills and property taxes she hadn't paid over 6 years.

+ Read More

Filed under: Fraud
Attorney answers 3


Step 1, file suit. Step 2, see step 1.


Short answer: Maybe.

You can sue her, and you might win. But winning a lawsuit and getting a judgment against her is one thing, collecting on a judgment is quite another.

If she does not have assets that you can go after to satisfy the judgment, you might not get your money back.

Consult with an attorney.

I am an attorney who is only licensed in the State of Florida. My answer is general legal advice based upon what I perceive your question to be, and should not be relied upon because every person's facts and circumstances are unique, and because specific laws vary from state to state. To completely evaluate a legal issue requires reviewing and evaluating all relevant facts, applicable laws and other information. My answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, and offered for informational purposes only.


Could be a criminal matter, in many jurisdictions pretending to be an attorney is a crime. Try complaining to the local bar association and see what they say.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer