Skip to main content

How can I get my license restored after being suspended?

Atlanta, GA |

My license was suspended for going over 15 points and I was notified via certified mail earlier this month. This past weekend I was driving my mother's vehicle without her knowing about the suspension and I was arrested after being stopped for running a red light. I was bailed out and went to court on Monday but the Judge gave me another date in March and suggested I get an attorney and take some driving course before returning. Please advise

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You're taking a not-too-bad situation and making it worse. Stop driving now. Get a lawyer before you lose your right to drive in a way that you can't get it back.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.


If you get convicted of driving on a suspended license, your license will be suspended for another 6 months. Take the judge's advice and get an attorney. Call me if I can be of assistance.

Allen R. Knox
125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
Kennesaw, GA 30144
(678) 334-1399


You can reinstate your license from a 15 point suspension immediately. There is no required amount of time you have to wait. You need to attend a state certified defensive driving school (not DUI School), and paying a $200 reinstatement fee by mail, or $210 in person. In the meantime, you may go get a limited driving permit for $25. I highly recommend you reinstate your license because this will be a huge help when you have to go to court for the suspended license charge which carries a further 6 month suspension with no limited permit if convicted, 2 days in jail, and a minimum $500 fine. Having your license reinstated before that court date is the best possible thing you can do to help yourself out.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Cory Earl Yager

Cory Earl Yager


Everything Jim said is right on the money. Also make sure you have someone take you to the DDS in Conyers, GA to get the limited permit (dont drive out there yourself). The DDS defensive driving course will remove 7 points from your license and can be taken once every 5 years. You will need to submit the certificate along with the payment to get your license reinstated. Many courts will work with your attorney if you have followed the advice Jim laid out in his response. You should also hire a qualified attorney to help you with the process.


I strongly agree with the other attorneys who have responded to your question. You are facing further license suspension and other penalties and that is why the judge asked you to consult with an attorney. Listen to him/her. Feel free to call me if you need to discuss this matter further. I provide a free consultation.

This response is intended for general purposes only and does not in any way establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer