Skip to main content

How can I get my license back?

El Centro, CA |

I had my license suspended due to several tickets that I could not afford to pay. I support my four children on my own and have a disabled son who I need to transport back and forth to school and numerous doctor appointments, not to mention to be able to find a better job. I want to try to start working on getting my license back but have no idea what to I can do since I do not have all the money for the tickets I owe. I have recently gotten a charge for driving while suspended because I have to get my kids to the places they need to be. I live in a rural area and transportation is limited, and my disabled son has problems walking or being around groups people he doesn't know. I cant afford to take my kids in a taxi everyday to school, & to my sons appts. What can I do? I need help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You can apply for a "critical needs" license with DMV. How long has it been since you paid on tickets? And how many are there? It may be a difficult road as you keep getting new tickets and probably civil assessments. Request a critical needs license, make payments, then hopefully the hold will be lifted. Good luck!



I have had several over the past 10 years and there is a substantial amount owed. I have no idea how to go about making arrangements with the court so that I can get my license back on track. How would I apply for a critical needs license? I havent been pulled over for anything more then a seatbelt violation but I end up getting something more serious because of my license status. Any info you can provide me with is welcomed, and your time is appreciated.

Stephen Troy Allen

Stephen Troy Allen


You can download a form for critical needs license off DMV website. If you keep getting 14601.1. Tickets, each one adds two points. And four points within a year suspends license again. You can add yourself on, speak to judge about dismissing civil assessments, or have an atty do it. Good luck! Let me know if our office can help. A little money up front may save you a lot down the road. We handle el centro court.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer