Skip to main content

How can I get my license, despite a DMV requirement for an IID?

Santa Monica, CA |

Convicted of 1st DUI in 12/2010 BAC .15. Was driving a friend's car as I don't own my own. Completed all court requirements/fees & was informed by the DMV that only SR22 was needed to get DL back.
With no car, I decided to put it off. Recently it's become necessary for me to have personal transportation so I bought a moped, purchased insurance and paid reinstatement fee at DMV. I was informed I had to install an IID ( July 2010 law authorizes the DMV to require IID at their discretion). They will not install it on a scooter & I can't buy a car. The only option is an exemption which takes over 5 months, and for which I was already denied because a car I sold to a junk yard 6 yrs ago is still in my name. Don't know the VIN or junk yard name to release liability either. This is a nightmare.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Sounds like your out of luck. You can try to find someone to install on the moped. But beyond that, the exemption is your only shot. Since you have already been denied, it unfortunately just sounds like you are out of luck.

Any information provided through in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.


I believe you have to have a car or motorcycle.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.


I agree with the above attorneys' advice

the information provided above is for information purposes only and you should consult an attorney for specific answers to your case