Skip to main content

How can I get my ex girl to let me take my son to meet my side of the family? What are my rights & I do pay child support.

Tampa, FL |

i have a baby with an ex girl friend, i pay child support and want to take my son to meet my side of the family but she wont me take my son to meet my grandmother who will turn 90 in Aug & has never met my son. Infact no one on my side of the family has met my son.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You need to get to an attorney and file a paternity petition in order to establish your rights and responsibilities if you have not already done so. You and the mother will need to agree upon many things, one of them being time-sharing. The quickest way to lose for her is to continue not allowing you to take your son to meet his great grandmother.


Do you have a parenting plan with time sharing provisions? If so, she may be in contempt if she does not allow you to. If not, you must file a paternity action to establish your parental rights and responsibilities and time sharing with your child. I suggest you contact a family law attorney in your area immediately to begin this process.


I agree with my colleagues. You need to file a paternity action to establish all of your parental rights and time-sharing.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


Your best option here is to find a local Tampa family law attorney willing to take your case and
file a paternity action, which will establish all of your parental rights as well as time-sharing.

The sooner you do this, the better, as they likely will take some time.

Our office would gladly do this for you if you are interested.

Felipe B. Fulgencio, Esq.
Fulgencio Law | Hyde Park, Tampa, FL
Voice: (813) 760-0269
Fax: (813) 253-0269


If you are not married to the mother then you have to file a lawsuit to enforce your parental rights to the child.


In addition to the other answers you might want to consider registering with the Florida Putative Father Registry. You can down load the form or complete it online. Once registered you would be notified of any attempt by mother to terminate your rights such as she and a new husband trying to adopt the child. Still though paternity action that others suggested is your preferred remedy.

This answer was provided as a courtesy to you and no attempt was made to establish any type of attorney/client relationship.

Elmer Sanchez

Elmer Sanchez


This is an excellent idea.


I agree with my colleagues. You must remember that paying child support does give you any additional rights. Time sharing (visitation) and child support are separate and distinct, even though they are related.

Contact through this site alone does not establish a client lawyer relationship. This information is not to be used as a substitute for consulting with an attorney. I or any of the attorneys at longwelllawyers would be happy to give a free consultation. Call 407-426-5757. <p><a href="" target="_blank">Longwell Lawyers</a><br /> <a href="" target="_blank">Orlando Criminal Defense Attorneys</a><br /> <a href="" target="_blank">Orlando Family Law Attorneys</a></p>

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer