Skip to main content

How can i get my court date change in a criminal case

Lombard, IL |

Have an upcoming court date criminal, assigned a public defender and no contact I cant show up on the assigned date, What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your options depend on the nature and severity of your charges.

Are you in traffic court/misdemeanor/Felony?

You should consult with a criminal defense attorney in Illinois.


In NJ and in most jurisdictions, the choices you have are to either show up, or get it adjourned. If you fail to show up without getting it adjourned or waived by the Court, the likely result will be a bench warrant being issued for your arrest. You will need to be proactive here and make contact with the public defender, whatever it takes. If you fail to show up without the Court adjourning this, or your lawyer stating that he will be able to appear and waive your appearance (get this in writing) then the Court will most likely issue the warrant. Good luck.

Since I do not practice law in your State, this answer is provided solely for informational purposes only, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.


Don't practice in IL, but if you show up on a date you're available before the assigned date. Advance the date and continue it to a convenient date.

Edward J. Blum