Skip to main content

How can I get my car back from impound sooner than 30 days?

Carson, CA |

I left my car registered into my name to my daughter in Carson, CA. It got impounded by the sheriff when boyfriend of my daughter drove it without a drivers license. I called the sheriffs office and I was told that they will hold my car for 30 days before I can get it released and boyfriend needed to get a drivers license. But I did not authorized driver to drive my car. Why 30 days. Do I need a lawyer for this.

I just moved here in Baltimore, MD and I have a Maryland Drivers License. But I still have my car in CA registered and insured to my name as it showed in my registration and insurance papers my current address reason being if I fly to CA I have car to use and drive. I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The statute gives the police discretion whether or not to release the car early. Every time I have gone to the police department with proof the car was registered to someone else ( i.e. not the person driving on a suspended) the car has been released early. Given the high cost of impound fees and airfare, it might worth hiring a local attorney on a hourly basis to make the pitch.
Good Luck
Michael Phillips
Nevada City, CA

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer