Skip to main content

How can I get my alimony payments lowered, I will soon be retiring on disibility and I'm on dialysis.

Plainfield, NJ |

The Judge at the time of divorce did not let me or my lawyer speak, I had proof that when she left me and the kids 25 years ago that she was paying me child support...She has never looked back or cared about my sons at all. So, I thought it was not fair that I have to pay her alimony for life, especially now that I don't work anymore or make the money I use to make and my health in failing...I need to find out if there is anything I can do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Anytime you can establish a significant, permanent change of circumstances you are entitled to seek a review and possible modification of a support obligation (alimony).

You will need to provide the court with evidecne of what your income was at or about the time the alimony obligaiton was set vs. your current income (once you are limited to disability payments). If you current income is significantly lower than your annual income at the time your alimony obligation was set you will have established a prima facia case of changed circumstances.

Please note that there are additional facts and circumstances relevant to providing a complete analysis of your situation. Accordingly, you should schedule an apointment with an experienced family law attorney who can take the time to review with you all such relevant facts and circumstances, so that you can determine whether it will be worth the effort of seeking a modification from the court.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
Shane and White, LLC
1676 Route 27
Edison, NJ 08817

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.


Get proof from your doctors of your medical condition, apply for social security, and file a motion to reduce/terminate alimony, not in that order.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed


I agree with my colleagues. Significant and permanent changes in your health which result in an inability to work because of a disability and the receipt of permanent disability benefits are generally considered sufficient changed circumstances to warrant a review of spousal support. However, you really do need to speak with an attorney, because there may be other issues involved, or your Settlement Agreement or Judgment of Divorce may contain specific provisions governing modification of support which must be taken into account. I suggest you speak with an attorney regarding the modification of support as soon as possible.

If you think this post was helpful, please check the "good answer" button below! NOTE: This answer is made is for advisory and/or educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site, or posting a question and obtaining an answer, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is being established between you and the answering attorney, and there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney. You should consult with a licensed professional attorney in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. The information provided in this answer is designed to be general in nature and is based on the facts stated in your question, and might change based on further information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer