Skip to main content

How can I get green card

Brooklyn, NY |

Was married 9 years

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration Green cards
Attorney answers 5


Not enough facts to answer your question.


You need to consult an immigration attorney. There are many ways in which to obtain a green card, and whether you are eligible cannot be determined from your question. If you are married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, your spouse can petition for you to become a permanent resident. Althernatively, a prospective employer can petition for you. However, you should speak to a lawyer in order to determine your options, if any.

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


Contact one of us immigration attorneys here at AVVO for a consultation, and we will be happy to advise you.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


The fact that you were married 9 years does not by itself entitle you to apply for a Green Card. However, depending on the nature of the marriage, OR what happened during the course of the marriage, OR what led to the breakdown of the marriage, you MAY be eligible for relief. You should consult with an attorney to discuss in detail your marital and immigration history to see if there is any relief available to you.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104