Skip to main content

How can I get free legal help from a Massachusetts lawyer?

Peabody, MA |

I am in need of a housing lawyer in Massachusetts to help me with many things. I have very limited income now, and live out of state. Are there any legal aid offices that will or can still help me in Massachusetts Essex County (Peabody)?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can start by contacting Neighborhood Legal Services in Lynn, (781) 599-7730.

Depending on the nature of your case, landlord-tenant attorneys might also take your case on contingency -- that is, they don't get paid unless you win.

E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.



Thank you!


It depends on what the issue is.

For example, if your security deposit has been unlawfully withheld, you will have no trouble finding a lawyer: I and almost all other attorneys take those cases on contingency and you will not need to go to legal aid.

If you don't live in-state, why do you need a Mass. housing attorney?

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

Jefferson W. Boone

Jefferson W. Boone


My agreement is limited to paragraphs 1 and 2, The issue appears to involve housing in Peabody.


Also try Greater Boston Legal Services (free but very very busy); Massachusetts Bar Assn. Lawyer Referral Service and Boston Bar Association LRS, all susceptible to online searches for their phone numbers. The latter two have pro bono and reduced fee panels, which are somewhat sparsely populated. I agree with the attorney who suggested that there are many landlord/tenant disputes susceptible to contingent fee agreements. If you think you are getting screwed by your landlord, rather than the opposite, then your case is probably one of those.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer