How can I get Form I-797 or I-140

Saint Albans Bay, VT |

I have recieved a reply from NVC to scan a copy of Form I-797 or Form I-140 and send them through email.I want to know How can I get the copy of above mentioned forms

Best Answer

First, talk to your employer and ask for the I-140 filing receipt. If the company is non co-operative, seek your file under FOIA. Most documents relevant to your status are usually provided though some information may not be released.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to seek independent and private counseling for a complete review of your case.

By (gently) asking your employer and his immigration lawyer to provide you a copy. An I-140 is the EMPLOYER'S petition, and as such, his exclusive property. You don't have a right to it, not even through a FOIA request to USCIS.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Your employer can provide you with same.

Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

By talking to the employer.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.