Skip to main content

How can I get donations from people to pay for an upcoming trial?

West Haven, CT |

George Zimmerman received thousands of dollars in donations for his court case/trial. I think he received in the area of $86,000 (???) I dont know how he did this, but can anyone please advise if there is a way to receive donations for an upcoming trial? It isn't for me, it's for a friend who is in prison right now IN CONNECTICUT facing murder charges. He is in DIRE NEED OF HELP, he needs an EXCELLENT LAWYER REALLY BAD BUT CANNOT AFFORD IT & we don't think a "court appointed lawyer" will do him any good. Please help out .....

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There are a number of websites that allow people to set up funds to support various causes. You would have to search for such a site and see which one you think would be best for your needs. Be careful not to fall into any scams and also don't say or do anything fraudulent to obtain funding. Of course, in George Zimmerman's case, funding was boosted by heavy publicity and a segment of the population who, rightly or wrongly, felt Zimmerman was justified in his actions.



Thank you.


Don't be quick to judge a court-appointed lawyer. They are often highly driven, passionate people who have given up the possibility of making "big lawyer money" by working for the state so that they can do work for people like your friend. Good luck.

Avvo answers are not substitutes for the educated opinion of a lawyer who knows the facts of your particular case and should not be relied upon as such. My answer to you did not create an attorney-client relationship. James J Bagley Whaley, Bowie and Bagley LLC Providence, RI 401 454 7700


I respectfully disagree.
Court appointed attorneys from the Office of the Public Defender are excellently trained and have more than adequate legal training, experience and ability to handle such a serious case. In fact, to my knowledge, many former PDs become private counsels eventually for that very reason of having acquired terrific exposure to the criminal law and all of its intricate aspects.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


If you have people willing to donate funds I am sure you can find an attorney...otherwise the Public Defender's Office is free.