Skip to main content

How can I get citizenship or residence through husband I'm 18, I came legally What can I apply for & how to stay permanently

Houston, TX |

I came here with my mom when I was 7 yrs with a visa, My dad is a pastor, he was working here already, Since then our visas have expired, he has a work permit with UMC letting him work , we tried filling but wasnt able to cause she lawyer didnt submit on time the judge decided not to deport, but there was not fix, I have applied for deferred action 4 months ago, I am 18, but I want a permanent fix to stay here with my husband, move out of texas & go to college

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Avvo is no substitute for a full blown consultation with an immigration lawyer, which is exactly what you need. I would strongly recommend that you consult an immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues.

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. There are simply too many issues and documents to review to make a determination on Avvo.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You need to meet with a different lawyer than the one your father had.

If you are low income go here: or

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree that you need to consult with a competent immigration lawyer. There are more questions to determine your eligibility for your husband to petition for you, such as if your relationship is bona fide and ways to document it, if you have had any negative criminal or immigraton issues in the past, how you entered the U.S. exactly, if you've ever left the U.S., etc. Each attorney has their own consultation fee, if any. I highly recommend you find a competent immigration attorney. Some helpful ways to determine if a lawyer is competent in immigration law is to look if they're licensed from a state bar as they should be, a member of different groups such as AILA and their work experience.

If you liked this answer which was for general purposes only and did not create any attorney-client relationship, please rate it accordingly.


Attorney Susham M. Modi, Esq.
The Modi Law Firm

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer