How can I get back my passport from ICE?

Washington, DC |

My passport has been taken away from me by ICE at Newark. The removal proceeding has been terminated by a judge and I am still unable to get back my passport. I filed a G-884 at USCIS moths ago. And no answer. Can somebody please tell me how I can get back my National passport as its important for me to have it.

The govt. attorney at the immigration court should have your passport. Sometimes its faster to simply get a new one.

Thank you Mr.Jose. I am currently asked to show my original passport which contained my u.s visa and an I-94 to start working at a particular place in addition to my employment authorization card which I have. But thanks to ICE I don't have my passport and couldn't start working. Sometimes I wonder if the govt knows how ICE officers mistreat and abuse innocent and non criminal aliens. It's sad!

I agree..what other attempts have you made to get it back? There is not really a reason they would keep it.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.

Dear Mr.Ian, Thank you for the responce. I attempted contacting ICE several times by phone leaving several voice mails and in person at ICE head office at Newark,NJ and filled out a form requesting for the return of my passport and it has been a year now and i did not hear from them. I was then told to file the G-884 at uscis and that didn't bring any change as well. It is so sad how ICE mistreat people in this country.

You can contact the ICE attorney who handled your case in court.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Thank you!

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

You are welcome. Good luck!

If you had a lawyer in removal proceedings, the same lawyer can help you get your passport back. If not, you can try following up with ICE yourself or get a help by contacting an immigration lawyer.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
Alexandria, VA 22314
Tel: (703) 527-1779
www.islawfirm.com

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.

Thank you Mr.Ismail. The lawyer I had tried his best but I guess he was new to the Immigration laws. He told me that ICE officers are notorious and don't respond to his telephone request. He was the one that told me to go to the ICE office and ask in person while I was in NJ but that didn't help.