Skip to main content

How can i get access to the discovery/ evidence the prosecution has against me?

Philadelphia, PA |

I already had formal arraignment. I am thinking of switching lawyers but would like to show them the discovery first so I can get an opinion on the case before hiring. Is it possible for me to request the evidence or does the lawyer have to?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Let the lawyer handle it.


The lawyer typically receives the discovery at the formal arraignment and should then send it to the client. There are times when the discovery has not been made available at formal arraignment, often due to difficulties the DA is having collecting the discovery. Contact your attorney to see if he has it.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.


My suggestion is to allow the lawyer to request the discovery from the DA.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kaplun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.


I'm in complete agreement with the responses posted thus far. I write separately to say that you should ask current counsel to request discovery at once and to provide you with copies immediately.