How can I get "Charged Off" records off my credit report?

Walsenburg, CO |

I have been disabled since 1998 and applied for SSD in 2001. I was denied in 2005 and unfortunately reapplied (due to Lawyer) and was finally approved in 2007. I was given retro benefits back to 2005 only because my lawyer didn't have me appeal, instead had me refile. I had to file bankruptcy in 2003 and that will be off my credit report this July. How do I get off the accounts that were "Charged Off" that I was unable to pay because of limited income? The dates are from 2008-2010 and they say won't be removed until approx. 2014-2019. Is there any way to get them off sooner?

You can try disputing the accounts in the hope that the creditor won't verify. However, you have no basis to remove true and accurate (albeit negative) information from your credit report, and most negative items can be reported for 7 years.

There is no way to remove them sooner.

This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with the others. I also would ask this - why does it matter to you that they are there? Any future credit and lending decisions will be based not only on your credit score, but also on your income and ability to repay. If your incom is low and you were unable to pay previous debts it sounds as though incurring new debts may not be the best option for you to move forward.

I have been trying to rebuild my credit for years, I used to have fantastic credit until I got hurt. My mortgage is private, therefore doesn't report and my local credit union (only place I can get credit) also doesn't report, so having hard time rebuilding. The previous debts were mainly due to amount of time before finally getting my SSD and I was "living" off of credit during this time and a private $600/mo disability policy. I would have been able to pay them off is I received back payments for SSD that I should have gotten.

Deborah F Bowinski

Deborah F Bowinski

Okay. Unfortunately there is no good, legal way to remove accurate historical information from one's credit report short of time passing. The good news is that your disability income cannot be garnished even if the collection agencies try to obtain judgments against you.