Skip to main content

How can I force an attorney to give me a signed copy of my dead mother's will in NC ?

New Bern, NC |

Attorney who drew up mother's will leaving me everything will not give me a copy. What rights do I have as an heir to her assets? Relatives and their attorney are dividing assets and pretending will does not exist. Please help me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


When you have done all you can do-it is time to hire an attorney to assist you.
If the attorney has the original will-it must be filed.
Once filed-it is a public record and you may obtain a copy.
All of the assets could have had beneficiaries and not subject to the will.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


No one on this forum can help you in a situation like this. If your mother had assets of any appreciable amount, you can find a probate specialist to meet with you at no cost to assess your case and determine what needs to be done and if it is worth the fight. Do this immediately. Depending on where you live (I don't know NC zip codes), I may be able to refer you to someone who can help. If the relatives are taking things, it may be impossible to prove what they took and who took it, so you have no time to lose.

Mr. Huddleston is an Ohio-Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law, with offices in Columbus and Dayton, serving client families and private business owners throughout Ohio. He may be contacted directly by phone toll-free at 888.488.7878 or by email CLH@HUDDLAW.COM. Mr. Huddleston responds to Avvo questions as a public service to help educate and provide general guidance to questioners, but his responses are not legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship.


You need to immediately consult with a local probate attorney. No one should be permitted to take assets until an executor or personal representative is appointed by the court. Don't delay.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con