Skip to main content

How can I find out if there is a police report against me in a different city that's 7 hours away from me. What should I do

Los Angeles, CA |

please. My ex claimed that she filed a report but he could be lying also. It would be a police complaint, nothign more, if it exists, so how or where can I find out about this.

+ Read More

Filed under: Police interrogation
Attorney answers 2


My first question is what type of complaint? Police take reports when there is a crime committed or suspected. If you live 7 hours away the only things you could face would have to do with mail or electronic communications.

Don't talk with her, don't test her, don't email her and you'll be ok

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.



I am not sure what type, but when I called the cops to file a complaint, the came to my house and took it down even though the threat occurred a month prior it's just that I found out that my ex moved to my state so I notified the police and they took down a report. So this I what I wanted to know...if it's possible to find out if the other side filed one against me based on whatever BS they made up. Thanks.



P.S. the other side might do it for immigration purposes, but we have not seen each other physically for a year, the communication was limited to only emails.


My question to you is why do you want to know? Ammunition in a continuing battle?

If the police took a report and nothing came of it, no big deal. If the police thought there was a crime, you would have heard about it...from them knocking on your door.

Nothing is served by trying to figure out if your ex is lying to you or not. Let it go.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.