Skip to main content

How can I find out if I'm being sued or if there is an order or protection out on me without receiving the paperwork yet?

Joliet, IL |

My husband's girlfriend wants to either sue me or put an order of protection against me from her. I would like to know if she has filed yet with out receiving the paperwork yet

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In the 12th Judicial Circuit Court, for an order of protection, there must be a "familly or household member" relationship.

12th Judicial Circuit Court Rules say:

"An Order of Protection can be filed against a family or household member who has
committed acts of domestic violence against you or your minor child."

The definition of "family or household member" relationship is defined.
Simply put, the girlfriend of your ex-spouse does not qualify.

Again, quoting from the 12th Judicial Court rules:

"The Judge may deny the Order because you do not meet the burden of proof or because
no “family or household member” relationship exists."

If you'd like to discuss this more, give me a call.


You can check the court clerk's office and search by your name under "Court Schedule" to see if there is a pending court date. Go to HOWEVER the most comprehensive search can be accomplished by a review of the court docket. My office has access to the online docket and can see if there is a case filed and provide a consultation on the issues involved as well.

Moreover, if your husband recently HAD a girlfriend, you should be in marriage counselling. If he HAS a girlfriend, sounds more like you need a divorce consult.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer