Skip to main content

How can I find my husband immigration record he isnt sure if he was deported when trying to enter in to the U.S. ?

Las Vegas, NV |

Im U.S. Citizen and my husband was removed from the U.S. and tried to re- enter and was caught but isnt sure if he is deported for a second time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

If he tried to illegally enter after having been deported the first time, you can be sure he was again deported, for the second time. Trust me, in a situation like that they don't just place them on board of a bus which drives them to San Ysidro, CA and simply release them on the turning gates to Tijuana.. He was once again ordered removed. Given that it is your husband's file, once he gives "consent" you or a lawyer can file a FOIA request for the copy of his entire file with each CBP (border) and USCIS (the interior guys..) Kindly be advised that illegal reentry after prior removal subjects one to the "lifetime" bar, which means he'll have to remain outside the US for 10 years before being able to apply for anything.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


The attorneys on Avvo who practice immigration law are excellent and you really need to use the Find a Lawyer tool to find one in your area.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.


CBP has an option on their website to file Freedom of Information Act request.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer