Skip to main content

How can I find an attorney in Cordova, TN who will help me file for conservatorship using only my mom and stepdads assets?

Memphis, TN |

My mother is 75 and has multiple medical problems. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last summer. My 94 year old step-dad is her caretaker and has been for years. However, he is now becoming very forgetful himself. He needs help now too, but I have been assured his son-in-law will take care of him regardless of what happens with my mother. My mom is not able to drive, can't set up her meds (nor can my step-dad) , can't remember to take her meds, and is having trouble getting around. My step-dad is refusing to do anything, or put her anywhere. It is dangerous there and something needs to be done. Is it possible to get her placed in a nursing home without getting a conservatorship? And, can that be done without assuming financial liability myself?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4



Please note that you will need to be appointed conservator of your Mom in order to assist her.

For help with this complicated process, you should contact your local bar association, the Memphis Bar Association, for attorney referrals.

Please note that some of the bar associations also offer courses to train the conservatees on their responsibilities as well as other programs.

When you call, ask the Memphis Bar is they provide such programs.

I have also attached the link to a website from called the "Conservatorship Association of Tennessee" that provides assistance as well.

Good luck.


Generally, the legal fees for a conservatorship are assessed against the "ward," your mother. You run the risk that fees will be assessed against you, but from what you say you should be fine. You will not be appointed conservator if you have ever been convicted of a felony or if you have taken bankruptcy. As for finding a lawyer in Cordova, I would look there and in Germantown for someone who specializes in Elder Law or Probate. Good luck.


In addition to what Ms. Moss and Ms. Santaella told you, you may locate a probate or elder care lawyer on this AVVO web site. Most will provide a free initial consultation which will include obtaining information about your mother's assets and income and any other resources.

These comments do not constitute legal advice. They are general comments on the circumstances presented, and may not be applicable to your situation. For legal advice on which you may rely consult your own lawyer.


You need to retain local counsel to make sure the guardianship is created in a way that you have no personal liability. Please do not try and do this on your own. You can also look thru the Avvo attorney finder to locate experienced counsel to help you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer