Skip to main content

How can i find a probono attorney for a drug case that i am not guilty of?

Russellville, AR |
Attorney answers 5


You would likely need a public defender. Attorneys cases pro bono unless there is something very unique about the case or the situation.


If you are in need of an attorney and constitutionally entitled to one, the court will appoint one for you. It is up to the court. Take proof of your income, any disability, expenses, etc to court with you.

Claiborne H. Ferguson, Esq. is * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization.


When you appear before the Court for your plea and arraignment, request that the Court appoint a public defender to represent you. The Court will inquire into your financial resources and likely have you complete an affidavit of indigence.

This response is for information purposes only, it does not create any attorney-client relationship. Responses to questions posted on this Forum are of a general nature only. Because it is not possible to have all of the facts of your issue addressed in this forum, you should consult with an attorney to review the unique circumstances specific to your situation.


If you are indigent- which means something more than you just don't have extra money for a lawyer- the Court will appoint a lawyer, probably from the Public Defender's office, to represent you if you ask. That likely won't happen until your first Court appearance. There are benefits to hiring a lawyer to represent you. I would advise you to talk to one immediately.

The responses to questions posted on this Web site are made available by Kristin L. Pawlik of Keith, Miller,Butler, Schneider & Pawlik, PLLC for informational purposes only and are not legal advice. The transmission and receipt of information contained on the Web site do not form or constitute an attorney-client relationship. Persons should not act upon information on this site without seeking professional legal counsel. The materials on this Web site may not reflect the most current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. Further, prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Some links within this website may lead to other sites. This site does not incorporate any materials appearing in such linked sites by reference, and Kristin L. Pawlik does not necessarily sponsor, endorse or otherwise approve of such linked materials.


As the other folks have pointed out, if you are indigent, you are entitled to a public defender if there is a chance you could be incarcerated. Generally, there is a chance of incarceration on a drug case. You do not mention whether this is a felony or misdemeanor case, or whether you have had plea and arraignment already. If you had plea and arraignment and the court refused to appoint the public defender, then see if you can find an attorney to help you on a payment plan. Most will not, but some will. But whatever you do, do not go into court on a drug charge without an attorney. Drug convictions carry all sorts of other penalties (loss of federal financial aid, loss of driver's license in Arkansas for six months, among others).

Good luck.

No attorney-client relationship is established with this answer. It is not to be considered legal advice, but is merely given to point you in the right direction and give you a general answer as to the law regarding the question you have asked.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer