How can I find a pro bono attorney to help get my kids out of foster care?

Vancouver, WA |

I live in Wa state, my 2 children were taken from there mother in Oregon. I have been trying to complete an ICPC so they can be placed with me but was denied. Now they want me to relinquish my parental rights so they can put the kids up for adoption. I need help!

In a dependency matter, if you qualify financially, you will be assigned an attorney. You need to request an attorney from the court and will most likely need to fill out a financial affidavit to qualify for a court appointed attorney. If you hire a private attorney make sure thay have experienced in dependency court. Dependencies are highly specialized and a general family law attorney is most likely not going to be familiar enough with the different laws in regard to dependencies to assist you.

Legal disclaimer: This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

The court did originally assign me an attorney but he left his firm and I have gotten a new lawyer 3 times since then, and I dont feel I am being adequately represented, like they are not really trying to help me.