Skip to main content

How can I filed a complaint to the city of Richmons for a fall on the streets that had poor light and crack sidewalk i

Richmond, VA |

on july 4 I went to see the fireworks at Dogwood dell, we had to park ten blocks, away, we were coming back to the car on w,main and carey at 10,30pm the lighing was bad and the street was all crack i fell on the curb and the crack messed up my knee and elbow i have picture to send you i amd 63 years old that was a bad fall. people had to pick me up aslo my family are witness. it was embrassed and awful. today the 8 of july i still feel bad i cannot go to the doctor because my ins from work will not pay for it it is out of my pocket please help i will not go to carey street anymore the streets are crack and know where to partk for envents it is a shame first time i went for the fireworks on the 4 of july.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I am a Californoia Attorney, so the Statute of limitations period I will refer to may be different in your jurisdictin but I strongly encourage you to consult with a local attorney.

First, you may have a cause of action against the City, a municipality, for Slip and Fall.
Second, you have to act quick and file a claim against the City oif Richmond and the Public Works Department or similar entity that fixes the road. If the street is maintained by the county, you may have to include them as defendants. Or if the City contracts out the work to third parties you may have to sue them too. If you do not know that at this time, no sweat. You will file a lawsuit against 25 Does.

The time to file a claim against a municipality varies. In California is a maximum of six months. If you do not file within that period, with a few ewxceptions for a minor or extreme incapacitation, you may lose your chance to do so.

Third, just because you file does not mean you will recover. But if you don't for sure you will waive your rights. Whichg at this time you do not want to do. This is the type of case that is most ofeten litigated and you will need a lawyer to recoiver your damages. So, do it now!!!

Let me know if this advice was helpful.

Take care of yourself!!

I am licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advise in any other type of situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer