Skip to main content

How can I fight a contractor who is overcharging me for services?

New Bremen, OH |

I recently had a contractor to lay wood flooring and trim. After the job was started he tells me that he did not included certain trim and work in his quote which was to be added per our discussion. On he final bill the cost of labor and material was about three times what it should of been. The floor was chipped and quality of workmanship was poor. I have paid him what was on the quote ,but on the extra . He will not provide me with any receipts for material . I kept a log for his labor and he has padded his labor on this as well.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The really short answer is YES, you do have a lot of rights!

Ohio has VERY STRICT CONSUMER LAWS: Your project sounds like a new floor in your house. If this is for YOUR house, as opposed to a commercial project or a rental property, you have a LOT of rights, which may include triple damages with attorneys' fees and/or a possible cancelation of your contract and return of all of your money. Ohio's consumer laws are even more strict if the sale was a "Home Solicitation" (the Home Solicitation portion of the Act starts at 1345.21 contained in the link below).

Based upon the information in your question, if this project is not for your residence there are still a lot of rights that you have for breach of contract and damages. You should talk to an Ohio Construction Lawyer who understands this area of the law. You may be able to get a good resolution by merely having the lawyer write a letter and talk to the contractor, or it may be more involved. For the best answer, you really need to talk to a local lawyer who can review your documents, if you have any, and discuss your case more in-depth that you could possibly write here. Check on Avvo for a lawyer close to you.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE MARK IT SO. The answers provided by R. Russell O’Rourke, Attorney-at-Law as a free informational service only. Without thoroughly reviewing your case neither I nor any other attorney can give you a complete answer upon which you could or should rely. Your reading of this or any of my answers does not create an attorney client relationship between us. Legal cases are often very fact specific and need a qualified attorney to properly review ALL of your materials and fully discuss your case with you before you decide the right course of action to take. YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN PERSON who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


You should consult with a consumer protection attorney.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer