Skip to main content

How can I expunge a DUI that is older than 10 years?

Minneapolis, MN |

I've been stopped a few of times in the last two years. But the police never seem to have a reason. As a matter of fact, last week, when I parked my car in a parking lot of a restaurant and opening my door (it was 1am on a Saturday) I was surprised when he pulled right on my tail and turned on his lights. I asked him why he pulled me over. He said I was speeding and I my license plate light was out. So I turned on my lights and it was working fine. SO I asked him to see what he clocked me at and he said he didn't record it. But he went through a field and a breath test. I passed both. But this was the third time this has happened in two years. Now in 1997, I had two DUIs. I was a stupid 21 year old. And every time I am stopped, the first thing the officer says it 'looks like you've been stopped before'. Is there anyway to expunge my record from 12 years ago? I feel like I'm being harassed, since I have not since broken any traffic laws.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Most states do not allow expungement if you have a conviction. The trend is also to count lifetime offenses should you be convicted agan. You should check with DUI attorney(s) in the state(s) in which you got the convictions.


It may be possible to expunge a DWI charge which was dismissed or resulted in acquittal after your lawyer helped you win it.

If you were convicted under the Minnesota expungement statute (609A), a DWI conviction cannot be expunged.



In my state (Washington) a DUI cannot be expunged from your record, no matter how old. I suspect this is the case in many other states, but you should contact a local attorny to double-check.


A DWI conviction cannot be expunged in Minnesota no matter how long it has been on your record. The only way a DWI incident can be taken off your record is if the case was dismissed. A stay of adjudication for dismissal or stay of imposition for dismissal does not qualify for expungement. If you have more questions contact the DWI GUYS at