Skip to main content

How can I expedite my divorce?

Bronx, NY |

I've been separated for 3 years and going through this divorce the entire time. Finally, the final paperwork has been filed, but I'm engaged and I'm trying to plan my wedding. Is there any way to get my divorce finalized sooner? What's the extra cost?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


A motion to expedite is not expensive. But it may not be granted....

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


You may be able to file a motion to expedite based upon your desire to remarry quickly, but in most instances, you will not jump to the front of the line unless there are truly emergent circumstances. The attorney who handled your divorce should be able to file this motion for you.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


You really can't because everyone wants an expedited divorce.

Good luck.


Motion cost would be $45 but unlikely to be granted.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


You would need to file an order to show cause showing the wedding date's already set & the reception booked. If it's not, then the Court most likely won't expedite the case. For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a Bronx Divorce attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer