How can i evict my spouse

Colorado Springs, CO |

i filed for divorce but was told i could not go through with it if he is still in the house. he refuses to leave the house

You can still go through with the filing of the divorce even if your husband is living in the house. You need to file the Petition and the Summons and have him personally served first. Then you should file a motion with the Court asking for the Court to make a temporary determination about who should be allowed to live in the house. There is no presumption that either the wife or the husband gets to stay in the marital residence. That is a decision for the judge to make either at the initial status conference (ISC) or at a temporary orders hearing. Right now, there is no way to "evict" your spouse from the property, assuming that the property is held in both of your names and it is marital property. Please hire an attorney in the Springs to assist you through this process.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

Attorney Leroi has given you excellent and detailed advice. I strongly recommend you follow his suggestion to engage (or at least consult with) an attorney in the Springs. Good luck!

I agree with Mr. Leroi as usual. All I would add is that if there is a basis for a restraining order (imminent threat to your life or physical or mental health) as that would get him out. A lawyer is very helpful in these cases as we can talk to him as to why it is in his intest to leave. Hope this helps.

You can reach Dave Rich at (303) 886-2516 or dave@flatironlegal.com. Dave Rich is an attorney licensed in Colorado. Answering your questions does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts in your case, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

I agree with Mr. Rich. Your local attorneys are always the best resource. Good luck!

Married people file for divorce while still residing together all the time--that isn't an impediment to the filing. The occupancy of the marital residence is just one of many issues that must be resolved during the process of the divorce. It is in your interests to speak with a local attorney as soon as possible so you can learn about all your rights, options and obligations before you take any further action. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

There are some judges who will not grant a final divorce decree if you are still living with your spouse. If you are in front of one of those judges and you want to go through with the divorce, you can ask for temporary orders to determine who will have possession of the house until the final decreee enters. If the issue is going to be constested, you should consider hiring an experienced family law attorney.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

Again, the highest regard should be given to the information provided by your local attorneys.

I've had a number of cases where the parties continue to live together throughout the divorce proceedings and even after the decree of dissolution enters. I suggest you get advice from an attorney rather than from friends, family, or acquaintances. Some attorneys will offer a free initial consultation. Only an attorney can provide legal advice.

This is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.