Skip to main content

How can I establish residency at a friend's house (who lives in another state) if I am 18 and still in high school?

Lake Mary, FL |

I am a senior in high school who just turned 18. My parents recently moved from Georgia to Florida about a month ago, and my school here is terrible and I am quite homesick. So, my parents have agreed to let me live with my best friend and her family (who also agreed to take me in) who live back in Georgia so I can finish out my senior year at my old school. My question is, how exactly would I go about establishing residency at my friend's address so that I can obtain a GA license and tags and get registered for school there? Are there any documents we would need to sign, does a court need to be involved, and how much would it cost?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are 18. You are an adult. I would recommend you attempt to find out the requirements needed for obtaining a Georgia driver's license and what documents you need to show.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.



I agree, but I was wondering more on how to establish residency at my friend's house?


Contact GA DMV or go online....should be there..

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


Once you actually live back in Georgia, you can use that address to obtain a driver's license.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer