Skip to main content

How can I establish, prove and enforce a meretricious relationship in CA?

San Francisco, CA |

We were married in Israel about 5 years ago. We had an "spiritual" wedding (it was not legalized there because of interfaith matters) and we did not legalized it here in CA. We signed a Ketubah with our wedding vowels, had videos and pictures, we did not have guests. We have been living together for about 9 years and hold ourselves as married people to everyone (including family and business). We stated everywhere, in Face Book and at work that we are married. We have not filed taxes as a marry couple though and keep our financials separate. Please let me know at
Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Since you both knew that you were not legally married and kept your finances separate, what part of the "relationship" are you trying to "enforce"?? Be aware that California does not recognize common law marriages.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.


I agree with counsel. It doesn't sound like you have a legal marriage. I'd recommend consulting with an attorney to be clear but it sounds like you don't need a divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer