Skip to main content

How can I dispute a police report?

Methuen, MA |

I was involved in an accident where I was turning left and the oncoming traffic was stopped in one lane when the driver turned out of the lane and hit me. The lane does not split to two lanes until after the entry way of the lot I was entering while the officer stated in the report that she was travelling in a lane. Even google earth clearly shows it is only one lane of traffic!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


We're you issued a citation by the officer? Any witnesses to accident that will support your account of what happened? As for the citation, it should include instructions about how to appeal. The appeal process is a two step process. First, you will have a hearing with fore a clerk magistrate. If you are found responsible at that level, you can appeal and request a hearing with a judge. You should notify your insurance company immediately. Also, you must fill out a Massachusetts Operator's Report which you can get from a police station or download from the Mass RMV website. The form has instructions where to file.

Information provided above is intended for general information only. The information presented above should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.



I recieved a citiation in the mail several days later that was a warning stating my failure to stay to the right of traffic?!? There is a witness whom info I have and also turned over to my insurance agency...


You will be filing an insurance claim; that will include your statement of events as set forth in the accident report YOU should be filing with the PD.

State your version of events, include the Google Earth view of the site and specifically address what you assert to be errors in the police report. The Google Earth image should be determinative of who correctly stated the geography of the locus.

Be sure to keep a copy for your records.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer