Skip to main content

How can I collect payment for the damages done to my car?

Fredericksburg, VA |

One week ago a co-worker hit my car with his in the parking lot of our job. I decided not to involve the police because the damages seemed minor and he admitted fault and agreed to pay for any of the damages. After having an estimate done though, the repair for the damage done is close to $3,000. Neither one of us had insurance at the time. Is there any way I can insure that I get him to pay for the damages done?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


consult a local attorney as consultations are typically free. Is he refusing to pay? your lack of insurance may prevent you from recovering. See if h will enter into a payment plan. Good Luck.


Best bet, consult with a local attorney in your location for a review of your options.


A judgment would be a start. Go to small claims court if you want.


Sue him.
Your question does create 2 great teaching points for others.

1. why don't you have insurance? You could seriously injure someone while you are driving, or be injured yourself. Driving without insurance is irresponsible (though in Virginia it is NOT illegal)

2. While damage to a car after an accident may seem "minor" often it is not. If you did have insurance it would have been a mistake to not immediately report the claim

Ben Glass is licensed in Virginia. He offers a number of free consumer book downloads at his site for information purposes only. You should consult an experienced, board certified attorney in your area. Obviously, no attorney client relationship is formed by participating in Avvo.


Obtain a written agreement for payment; or a payment plan; or small claims court.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.