How can I collect on a judgment for child support arrears ?

Bayshore, NY |

I was awarded a VERY large judgement for child support arrears . My " soon to be ex husband " has no " documented " income and possibly never will . , , , but certainly working ( denies it ) . He has no assets . Is there any way I can EVER collect on this ? The judge imputed income and he just started paying that . I don't even have his address ( so that he does not get followed to work , presumably ) . Any ideas ?

If he has any assets or income ever, you can collect--eventually. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

You should file the judgment in the counties you believe your husband works and resides in. If he has a property, the judgment will attach and he'll have to pay you when he refinances or sells with 9 percent interest included.

Otherwise, the judgment will be a blight on his credit and you are tying him up. It would have to addresses if he ever wants to move forward.

Since it's for child support, he cannot discharge the judgment in bankruptcy.

You could have information subpeonas served on the banks around where he lives. You have 20 years to collect a judgment.

The above is a general answer and is not considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney before proceeding to take any legal action, signing any papers or upon service of a summons. Howard E. Knispel 631-864-7589

I can not afford to pay my lawyer to do that. Can I do it on my own and how? Thank you.

Howard E. Knispel

Howard E. Knispel

You can find forms on line. Go to Blumberg.com. I can not give you step by step instructions.

OK. Thanks!