Skip to main content

How can I collect for monies paid?

Athens, GA |

I used to own a vehicle that was registered in my name but I was no longer driving. I had cancelled the insurance on it because it needed mechanical work and mostly because I obtained another vehicle to drive and currently still have. Someone had driven the vehicle and and caused an accident and fled the scene. My son's dad finally admitted to the accident. However, I just recently found out that my license are suspended due to that accident and I was cited and arrested for driving under suspension of license. Now I have to reinstate my license in addition to pay for the ticket received as a result. Can I hold him responsible for those fines?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, but you have to sue him first. Try small claims court. Get a lawyer to fight the ticket for the driving without a license and to negotiate a payment plan with the plaintiff so you can get your license back.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


I'd suggest you speak with a criminal defense attorney first. If you were not the person driving, you may be able to have the charges dropped altogether.


First, you need to fight the charges. Paying the ticket is a guilty plea, an admission under the law that you were the driver, and will likely result in further suspension of your license. If he will not come to court and admit he was the driver, your attorney can subpoena him. Then, when you win, and only then can you sue him for all of your out of pocket costs. If you pay the ticket, he could just point to this as an admission that it was you, and countersue you for his costs. Get an attorney to get the charges dropped or beat them before you do anything else.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer