Skip to main content

How can I claim a debt?

San Jose, CA |

I borrowed money with the anticipation of paying it back. The person I borrowed it from used a credit card to give me the funds with the expectation that the funds would be returned prior to having to pay increased interest rates. Is there a way via a Court complaint that I can assume the credit card debt releiving her of this burden and debt and placing it on entirely on me? If so, then how do I go about doing this. As such, it would make life much easier for me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You wrote, " Is there a way via a Court complaint that I can assume the credit card debt releiving her of this burden[?]"

A: No.


I am sorry,but to my knowledge, there is no way to assume another's credit card debt, other. You may simply choose to pay it.

Legal disclaimer: Click on the name or picture of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


The credit card company lent the money to her, based upon her credit and her promise to repay. The credit card company did not loan the money to you. She is indebted to the credit card company. I expect that if she does not pay, the debt will be reported on her credit and the account will go to collections. The debt collector may sue her if she does not pay. This may result in garnishment of her wages, a levy upon her bank account, etc.



First, the firm is a debt relief agency according to the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We help people file for bankruptcy. We also do other stuff and we do it well, but Congress wants me to post this notice. Second, nothing on this site is legal advice. You are not my client unless you enter into a written agreement signed by you and me.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer