Skip to main content

How can I check if I have deportation on my immigration records?

Chicago, IL |

My husband applied for asylum and later added me as a beneficiary in late 90's. However, I don't think I was officially added in the file. The result of asylum was a denial and deportation. I have an alien #. How can I check my current status? Do Alien number ever expire? Thanks.
p.s. I tried checking my status on the automated machine on 800 number. My Alien number was invalid.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If the toll free number shows no deportation, you don't remember being deported, and you received no paperwork regarding deportation, I'D have to assume you were not deported. Alien numbers do not expire, but you CAN be issued more than one by error. Call an immigration attorney ASAP.



My husband had the deportation, however, I am not sure if that transfers over to me as well


If you alien number was invalid, then file a Freedom of Information Act request on your alien number with both the EOIR and the USCIS/NRC. Once you have your case files, you'll be able to ascertain what has occurred in your immigration history. This is a routine and customary first step for our office as we get to know what the immigration folks know about you that you may not know.


First, you may try to call a USCIS toll free Status Check Line 800-898-7180 to see whether it has a record of recent action of your case. If no record, call the respective Immigration Court of your given jurisdiction, provide your A number and see whether a Final Order of Deportation has been entered. Use the link to the Department of Justice web page to find that court below:
If no luck, retain an immigration attorney for a FOIA request and other possible remedial actions if warranted on your situation.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer