Skip to main content

How can I change information on my son's birth certificate?

Cordova, TN |

I became pregnant and the man who signed the birth certificate is not the father. At the time, I thought he was the father and did not find out he was not until a little later. I want to change the name of the father on the birth certificate to the real father and to change the child's name as well. Both men have agreed to this change and will not dispute it. Both men have agreed to sign any documents needed to be signed. I don't know where to start with this process because my son was born in Mississippi and now I live in Tennessee. Any advice will be much appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you and the child have been TN residents for more than 6 months, you can file a name change petition in Shelby County Probate court. I'm not certain, but I would expect the Court to require a child support order in the Juvenile Court to be completed before approving the name change. You would then take you name change order to MS to change the birth certificate and other vital documents.

This is a fairly simple process if everyone is in agreement. Please contact me directly to discuss the private details of your case.