Skip to main content

How can i cancel my naturalization certificate

Brooklyn, NY |

just gor my naturalization 4 month ago i am trying cancel because i cant go to my country without viza and get the visa is very big problem

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I hope this is just an overreaction to an otherwise difficult situation. I understand your frustration. Kindly be aware that US Citizenship is very, very, EXTREMELY valuable and you yourself must have spent a lot of time and effort to obtain it..

Now you simply want to "cancel" because you "cannot go back to my country...."???
Think again about the reason that brought you here to the US in the first place..

To answer your question, one does not "cancel" a naturalization. The proper way to do it is to take steps to formally renounce your US citizenship. That is normally done at a US Embassy or consulate abroad. Think again.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Renouncing your US citizenship is a very serious matter and there is probably no getting it back. Do not take this step without thinking about it. If you need to meet your family, consider meeting in a third country where you can get a visa. Think about how difficult it was to get to this point.

Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no attorney client relationship is formed by this response to your question.


I agree with both prior posts. Please consider this decision carefully. There are many ramifications of renouncing one's citizenship.


As discussed by my colleagues, renunciation of U.S> citizenship is a serious and in most cases irreversible, therefore you should consult with an immigration lawyer before you try this yourself.

A person wishing to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship must voluntarily and with intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:

appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer,
in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate); and
sign an oath of renunciation

Renunciations that do not meet the conditions described above have no legal effect. Because of the provisions of section 349(a)(5), Americans cannot effectively renounce their citizenship by mail, through an agent, or while in the United States.

The act of renunciation is irrevocable, except as provided in section 351 of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1483), and cannot be canceled or set aside absent successful administrative or judicial appeal.