Skip to main content

How can I cancel a agent/seller contract - exclusive authorization right to sell property?

Burlingame, CA |

In entered into a exclusive right to sell a property with a real estate agent on 6/2013. The contact expires on on 12/31. The real estate agent is not doing his job. How to I cancel?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


A contract cannot be unilaterally cancelled. I doubt that the agent will agree with you that he is not doing his job. Discuss your concerns with your agent. Perhaps you can agree to rescind the contract upon terms satisfactory to both of you. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult an attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction for advice and counsel. See, also, Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br>


This depends on the terms of your contract and the laws of contract in your state. It would be best if you consult a business attorney to review the terms of the contract and adv is you. Goo luck.


I would look at the terms of the contract. Or have an Attorney review it for you and see if there is something in there that will allow you to justifiably terminate the contract. I would also try to work it out with the Agent if your relations are still good with him.

Ripal Patel, Esq.
Bay Area Attorney

Your particular situation may be different. This answer is intended for information purposes only. No Attorney-Client relationship has been established.


If you can prove your agent is not doing his job and there is a significant non-performance on his part you should consider rescinding the contract for failure for performance and lack of consideration. You should contact an attorney and make sure your arguments are properly framed up with evidence and appropriate law can be cited.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.