Skip to main content

How can I bring my sister and her daughter to United States?

Jamaica, NY |

I need my sister here in the united states so she can take care of my sick mother. Me and my mother are both USC through naturalization. I need my sister to obtain lawful status while she is here. Shes is over 21 and married.
I know we can sponsor her, but that would take ten years.

Is there any way we can have her come here first and then sponsor her?

She had a pending asylum before but because of an emergency she had to return back home to pakistan. This was almost 10 years ago.

She was a minor at the time. What other information do you need?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


More information is needed. She may have what is called an 'in abstentia" deportation order due to her decision to leave before her Immigration Court hearing. This may require exceptional work that cannot be done within the time frame that you want her here.

I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before you take any furrther action. She may be discqualified from immigrating to the U.S.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


I agree with Atty Dixler. You need to learn about the disposition of her old asylum claim first. She can obtain a copy of her immigration records by filing a FOIA request with the executive office of immigration review.

As far as her coming here. That would be a lengthy process. If she attempts to come on a visitor visa, she could be charged with immigrant intent. If she's admitted, she'd have to maintain lawful nonimmigrant status until rr priority date is current and she's eligible to adjust. This is very difficult to do for a period of ten years.

You need to sit down with a lawyer to explore her options.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


I also agree. More information is needed. You should consult with an attorney to go over your options so as not to waste time needlessly.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The answer(s) given are only to be deemed general in nature as all of the facts of your case were not provided and thoroughly reviewed. Any answers are NOT to be deemed as attorney advice as a full legal opinion can NOT be provided at this time without a complete analysis of all of the facts regarding your particular matter. Any and all statements provided do NOT in any way create any type of attorney/client relationship.