Skip to main content

How can i at age 17 get emancipated? What are the requirements?

Ellsworth, IA |

I am 17 years old and I have a job, I also have someone that offered for me to live with them but I need to be emancipated to do so. I can't stand living at home with my mom who stays over at her boyfriends all the time and treats his son more like a son than she treats me. She also won't let me visit family or go to friends houses very often.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


This website will give you a starting point:

For more information: By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.



is there anyway other than her giving me permission to be emancipated that would allow me to move out bu not take my little sister from her? i want out of the house but i dont think it would be healthy for either one of them to lose the other. i know she wont let me leave due to her wanting control of me but i feel that living with the father figure of mine would be healthier for me


Follow the instruction from Mr. Moen's.

Most lawyers will give you a free consultation if you ask for one. We do this all the time, but remember that our time is valuable and you should stay with the people who help you the most.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer