Skip to main content

How can I apply for medicaid if I don't have any of the listed proofs of address?

Ithaca, NY |

I'm sleeping in a friend's spare room because I can't afford to pay for housing myself. I need to apply for medicaid but I don't know how to prove that I live there - I'm not paying rent or utilities or receiving much of any mail. Is there anything I can do to either prove residency or get medicaid without it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4



It is recommended that you consult with the Medicaid office in NY for assistance.

Good luck.


Do you have a license or any government contact at your current address? If not a local elder law attorney could dray penalty of perjury [go to jail if you lie] affidavits of your residency for you and your friend to sign.

Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.


Larry is correct. An affidavit to be signed under penalty of perjury could suffice. You might also go back to old Tax Returns that have the former addresses. In any event the Medicaid authority in your state has most likely dealt with this before. Good Luck.

My answer is based on the limited facts presented. It doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. Use the ‘Find-A-Lawyer’ search engine at the top of this page and follow proper legal advice.


A simple answer - send mail to yourself at that address.