How can find out if a lawyer is legitimate or not?

Chicago, IL |

I was referred to a lawyer by a former friend for a divorce and I paid this woman about $1700 through Money Gram, which I thought was odd at time, but her paralegal explained she was in another state handling another case and needed the retainer fee before she could look over the case. Then a month later, my first court appearance, she didn't show up. I have never actually spoken with HER, only emailed back and forth with her paralegal. Then last minute, before my next hearing, her paralegal emails me and says I never needed her services and said the retainer is non-refundable. I feel like I have been scammed, any advise?

All us Illinois attorney's are on a master roll, www.iardc.org - look up the name there. Best of luck.

You check on all Illinois lawyers through the ARDC right online. Do an attorney search on that website.