Skip to main content

How can an illegal underage person become a legal U.S. citizen?

Dallas, TX |

I am currently an underage(almost 16) high school student. I am illegally here. However, both my step-father and half brother are legal U.S. citizens. What would be the quickest way to become a U.S. citizen for me and how do I apply?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I would suggest looking into having your stepfather petition for you, but before doing anything you need a thorough consultation with an immigration attorney to see what your options are. Best of luck.


I would need more facts to be able to provide you with a complete answer. If your entry into the US is illegal you may have a very difficult time gaining legal status here in the US. Please seek an attorney and provide all information with regard to your entry into the US.

Communication of information by, in, to or through this Web site and your receipt or use of it (1) is not provided in the course of and does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship, (2) is not intended as a solicitation, (3) is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice, and (4) is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice. You should not act upon any such information without first seeking qualified professional counsel on your specific matter. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon Web site communications or advertisements.


You need to consult an immigration attorney. Your unlawful presence doesn't begin accumulating until your 18th birthday. Your step-father may be able to petition for you but such a determination really involves a lot more information that can be given on AVVO.


Your question requires a consultation - if you cannot afford an attorney contact Catholic Charities - Immigration legal services in Dallas and inquire about their free pro bono services; goto

Good luck,

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication.