Skip to main content

How can an illegal immigrant of 38 years become a citizen or at least legal?

Fort Worth, TX |

My friend was brought into the USA by his mother at age 5, he is still not legal.This man is now 43. He has been married to an American citizen for over 25 years and has a 22 year old daughter in collage. He has always paid his taxes, social security and such. What does he need to do to become an American citizen or at least be in our country legally?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I would strongly recommend that your friend call an experienced immigration attorney for a consultation. More information is needed in order to determine what is the best course of action for him to obtain a lawful status. good luck. This is not legal advice as many facts are still unknown, and an attorney-client relationship has not been created.


Because your friend has apparently been in the United States for so long, it would be very important for him to consult with an experienced immigration attorney, who should thoroughly review his entire immigration history and criminal history (if any), and to determine what is the best way forward. Best of luck.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


He might qualify for the I-601a waiver program .... consult with an attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


To become a US citizen, he must first be a Lawful Permanent Resident. It seems he missed a great opportunity to gain his Green Card given his long marriage and presence in the US. have him meet with an attorney before he misses out on more opportunities.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer