Skip to main content

How can an illegal immigrant gain a visa without leaving the country?

Powell, OH |

I have a friend who has been in the country illegally for about ten years. She has never caused any problems or been convicted of anything. She has no problems at work or with any previous employers or acquaintances. She was married to a US citizen for about 2 years and later divorced due to some problems. They have a 3 year old son together and is very important to that child. She has been trying to gain her visa for a long time but has had no luck with it. Is there any way that she can get help or anything to gain one? If she were to get deported it would greatly cause hardship for the child and her. Please help with anything that will help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


More information is needed. Was she abused by her x-husband? What problems did she suffer? Was there severe emotional abuse? Has she ever been a victim of crime?

We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at


What types of problems were there in the marriage? Did her husband ever petition for her? She should consult with a qualified immigration attorney to determine what, if any, legal remedies she may have. Unfortunately we would need a lot more information to make such a determination.

Ellie Mosko Attorney Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900 Fax: 248-519-9901 Email: The information I provide on Avvo is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client relationship


Your friend should consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Based on the information provided, it is not clear exactly what your friends options are regarding immigration possibilities. You mention that she has been trying to gain her visa without success. We would need to know all of the details of her immigration history, as well as other issues related to her marriage, other family members in the United States, and other issues.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


Please have your friend discuss her facts and circumstances directly with counsel. Her history will guide an experienced immigration lawyer to determine what is in her best interest. There may not be an avenue now, but with comprehensive reform on the horizon, aligning herself with a diligent and knowledgeable attorney now will benefit her in the long run.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer