Skip to main content

How can an illegal immigrant become a citizen?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

In class a couple of weeks ago we were learning about immigration. So i was wondering how can an illegal immigrant become a US citizen?? Also what if the immigrant is under 18 and has lived here their whole life and has a abusive parent?What if the country they came from is highly dangerous?

how would they become a legal permanent resident?? also the parent was neutralized but the minor was not... is there a way the minor can deal with this issue with out leaving the states?? where can one find an experienced immigration attorney??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


They first need to be a legal permanent resident.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


It is a long road with residency first, then after a number of years, an application for citizenship.


My colleagues are correct. The undocumented person first needs to obtain legal permanent resident status, then after some years he/she may qualify to obtain his/her citizenship. Now if the abusive parent is a US citizen or a legal permanent resident, the minor may have some relief to obtain his/her legal permanent residence. I suggest that he/she consults with an experienced immigration attorney.

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


My colleagues are correct. As to where one can find an experienced immigration attorney. You can find one here, on Avvo.

Dhenu Savla
SwagatUSA, LLC


Seek the assistance of an immigration attorney to determine if you qualify to first become a legal resident. Nova Law School has an immigration clinic and a student would probably be happy to answer your questions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer