Skip to main content

How can a person get back child support dropped since the child is 19 years old now?

Conway, AR |

my child turned 19 in feb.2009 and graduated high school in may 2009. I owe 25,000.00 back support can i get the back support dropped?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


While it is possible that you would have some defenses against enforcement of back child support, as a general rule once a child support payment falls due, it becomes a final judgment and a court will not "drop" the arrears merely because the child has turned 18 and graduated from high school.

In Arkansas, the statute of limitations to recover on child support arrears is 5 years from the date the child's 18th birthday.

If you believe you have a defense to the enforcement of the child support, you will need to discuss your specific situation with an attorney.