Skip to main content

How can a 14 yr old child find out who has legal custody/guardianship over them?

Elkhart, TX |

mom, dad and grandparents all have different stories and i deserve to know the truth i have been forces to leave moms home and move in with dad/ grandparents due to cps orders i currently live with my grandparents but would much rather live with my dad again but i have no idea who really has legal custody of me because none of my family have the same answer so how do i find out the truth for myself?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Since you appear to get along best with your dad, ask him for a copy of the custodial order or any agreement concerning child custody. Tell your dad that you prefer to live with him, and he will likely go to bat for you. But, if the court has already declared otherwise, it may be difficult and/or expensive to modify the order.

You can also request to review the court's file for the child custody orders.

Good luck.


As Mr. Erikson said, ask your dad for the court orders. If he doesn't have them, he can get them from the court. If y'all don't know how, contact local family law attorney who will likely speak to you for free and hopefully clear some things up and point you in right direction.

BEST ANSWER I got.... and I HOPE I WAS HELPFUL!! Steve Hamer answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice. Those answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you would like my help, contact Mr. Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer