Skip to main content

How can a 14 yr old child find out who has legal custody/guardianship over them?

Elkhart, TX |

mom, dad and grandparents all have different stories and i deserve to know the truth i have been forces to leave moms home and move in with dad/ grandparents due to cps orders i currently live with my grandparents but would much rather live with my dad again but i have no idea who really has legal custody of me because none of my family have the same answer so how do i find out the truth for myself?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Since you appear to get along best with your dad, ask him for a copy of the custodial order or any agreement concerning child custody. Tell your dad that you prefer to live with him, and he will likely go to bat for you. But, if the court has already declared otherwise, it may be difficult and/or expensive to modify the order.

You can also request to review the court's file for the child custody orders.

Good luck.


This is a remarkably mature question for a 14 year old. It is considerably more understandable than the questions we often see from adults, many of which are barely literate. The most recent court order obtained by CPS should disclose who is the "managing conservator" or temporary "managing conservator". Unless the proceedings have been sealed by the court, the court orders are public information. I like the idea previously given of asking your dad for a copy. You could ask your grandparents too. But, you can also find your file at the court house. Some counties even have records online but those are only the bigger counties. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: This is not specific legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.


As previously suggested get someone to take you down to the court house or help you look online for a copy of the last "Order" (only orders are binding because the court "orders" what is stated in that document, "motions" are only documents showing what a party is asking for) that talks about who has what "Managing Conservatorship" rights over you.

If you discover your father does not have "Primary" or "Rights to Designate Your Residence" the two of you will want to speak to an attorney, ask the attorney whether a "Modification" is an option. I hope this helps. Good luck.